From the Wires
Zend Launches Zend Studio 10, Driving the Next Decade of IDEs
Zend Studio Enables Simple, Streamlined Creation of Mobile and Web Apps
Feb. 12, 2013 08:00 AM
CUPERTINO, Calif., Feb. 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Zend, the PHP Company, today announced the general availability of Zend Studio 10. The award-winning integrated development environment (IDE) for application developers using PHP, Zend Studio 10 streamlines the process of creating, testing and deploying PHP applications, with particular focus on mobile apps with a PHP back-end. Developers can prototype, create and debug both client-side mobile apps and server-side PHP APIs from a single interface.
The coming decade of IDEs is designed for a "mobile first" era, where companies will prioritize the development of mobile apps attached to flexible back-end services. Zend Studio 10 is designed to easily enable a developer to create apps with this approach.
"Zend Studio 10's latest features are tailored for today's mobile-first environment," said Zeev Suraski, CTO and co-founder of Zend. "When we came to design Studio 10, our challenge was bringing the extreme simplicity that has made PHP so successful into the creation of mobile apps, and I'm extremely proud with the results of our work. With Zend Studio 10, back-end, front-end and mobile systems are all accessible in an integrated, visual environment that is simple yet powerful. I'm exceptionally proud at how we've met this challenge. Combined with Zend Framework 2 and Zend Server 6, Zend Studio 10 offers the industry-leading platform for creating cloud connected mobile applications."
Maximize Development Productivity
Zend Studio 10 enables developers to develop and maintain their PHP code faster, solve application problems more quickly, take advantage of the cloud and improve team collaboration. Productivity is further enhanced through the streamlining of common workflows and by removing steps from the development process.
- An array of new PHP editor features includes fully supported PHP 5.4 syntax (with New Trait wizard), improved context based content assist (providing variables from included files and array indexes), unused 'use' statement and 'Type not found' warnings, and PSR-2 compliant formatter settings
- Smooth integration with Zend Server, automatic detection of local instance, one-click, fully configurable deployment feature with enhanced 'Development mode' that enables application monitoring and automatic 'upload on save'
- Zend Studio 10 and Zend Server 6 provide an integrated debug mode, in which Zend Server 6 will automatically trigger a debugger session in Zend Studio 10 on any incoming request, whether from a mobile emulator or real device.
- Zend Studio 10 comes with latest Zend Framework 1.12.1/2.1.0 packages and PHP 5.3.21/5.4.11 executables
- New noteworthy extra features available for installation via Studio's Welcome page include Composer – dependency management library in PHP, Terminal feature for command line operations and DBeaver – Universal Database Manager.
Create Cloud-Connected Mobile in a Breeze
Zend Studio simplifies creation of mobile applications with server back-ends so that even developers with no prior experience can quickly become successful. A WYSIWYG editor enables fast creation of portable mobile apps, while a visual service editor greatly simplifies the creation of RPC or RESTful data back-ends.
- Drag and drop visual editor enables rapid creation of RPC-style or RESTful services without having to write any connectivity code, allowing the developer to focus on the business logic. Client-server plumbing including routing, authentication, validation & filtering, request parameter binding, dispatching and rendering JSON response are handled by Zend Server Gateway.
- A new 'Debug mode' integrated Zend Server and Zend Studio feature enables pain free debugging of web services.
- Web Mobile emulator enables testing of application even before generating native packages. Integration with platform-specific IDEs (xCode, Visual Studio) and tools (ADT) enable developers to test applications on an emulator or deploy them to a real Android or Windows Phone device directly from Zend Studio.
- Zend Studio 10 enables a simple workflow to create iOS, Android and Windows Phone mobile applications that can be published on their respective application stores, for maximum user reach and easy consumption.
Instant Results with Zend Framework 2
Zend Studio 10 enables developers to create a Zend Framework 2 application with the proper structure, files and directories, out of the box and ready to use. As a result, developers can instantly get apps up and running.
- Developers can immediately start writing the business logic of their applications by creating a Zend Framework 2 module in a single click. Each new module is automatically registered and complete, saving programmers from needing to manually change files.
- All Zend Framework modules are re-usable. As a result, developers already have the plumbing in place to create new components or use them in someone else's ZF application.
- Zend Framework 2 is one of the best, most popular and well-known implementations of the popular model-view-controller (MVC) architecture. Zend Studio 10 enables developers to easily create views, view helpers and controllers; combined with Zend Framework 2, developers can make MVC happen quickly and easily.
- Content assist in Zend Framework project enhances the experience of switching between many different controllers, view helpers and views (controller variables and view helper methods are visible inside view), supports services shared via Service Locator and makes working with configuration files easier. MVC Outline view helps to keep track of modules, controllers and views.
"We're excited at how much momentum we've seen with Zend Framework 2, and how much it has already helped developers," said Matthew Weier O'Phinney, Zend Framework Project Leader. "It is great to see features being built into Zend Studio that are designed to help ZF 2 users."
Develop in the Cloud
Developers can easily publish mobile apps to the cloud using Zend Server, the leading PHP Web application server, to ensure that code is deployed correctly and consistently. Zend Studio also helps developers take full advantage of the Zend Developer Cloud, an instantly available, consistent PHP environment for superior debugging, solid productivity and team collaboration. Zend Studio 10 is also integrated with Red Hat OpenShift. Developers can easily deploy their PHP applications to Zend Server on premise or in the cloud, including deploying an app directly to Zend Server for Red Hat OpenShift.
"With OpenShift, Red Hat's Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS), and Zend Studio 10, developers can spend more time coding and less time setting up servers and configuring software on the cloud," said Jimmy Guerrero, director of Product Marketing, OpenShift at Red Hat. "Zend Studio enables developers to seamlessly develop and deploy their code in OpenShift, then easily plug in additional software cartridges like MongoDB, MySQL and PostgreSQL to work with their apps. It's a plug-and-play solution with incredible benefits built in."
Pricing and Availability
Zend Studio 10 is now available for download at www.zend.com/studio, as a free trial, and can be purchase directly through the Zend online store. For a limited time only, as an introductory promotion, Zend Studio is available at 50% off normal street price of $299 USD, now available for $149. Zend is also offering a special upgrade price of $129 to existing Studio 9 customers. Along with the introductory price, Zend Studio now includes free upgrades and support for 12 months.
A webinar on February 27th will provide a guided tour of new and noteworthy areas of Zend Studio 10. Registration is available at http://www.zend.com/en/company/news/event/1213_webinar-zs10
About Zend Technologies
Zend partners with businesses to rapidly deliver modern apps across mobile and cloud. Zend helped establish the PHP language, which today powers more than one-third of the web. Zend's flagship offering, Zend Server, is the leading Application Platform for developing, deploying and managing business-critical applications in PHP. Zend solutions are deployed at more than 40,000 companies, including NYSE Euronext, BNP Paribas, Bell Helicopter, France Telecom and other leading brands worldwide. Learn more at www.zend.com.
Sammy Totah or Lisa Wilson
SOURCE Zend Technologies