Top Links You Must Click On
From the Wires
Research and Markets: Super Junction MOSFET Business Update 2013 - A $1B Market by 2018, Forecast at 10.3% Growth Per Year
By: Business Wire
Feb. 7, 2013 06:01 AM
Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/j2tjsk/super_junction) has announced the addition of the "Super Junction MOSFET Business Update 2013" report to their offering.
A $1B market by 2018, forecast at 10.3% growth per year. Already eight new players in the last three years!
SJ MOSFET IS JUMPING FROM CONSUMER POWER SUPPLIES TO THE RENEWABLE ENERGY AND INDUSTRY SEGMENTS
It's no secret: Consumer is SJ MOSFET's main application segment, representing 2/3 of its total market. And while some applications are stagnant, i.e. Desktop PC and game console power supplies, most applications are still growing. The biggest growth area will be power supplies for tablets, with an expected 32% increase in CAGR from 2013 to 2018. However, the main products where SJ MOSFETs are used are PC (Desktop and laptop) power supplies and TV sets, which total half of the SJ MOSFET market as presented in this report.
The driver for using SJ MOSFET in these applications is, first and foremost, size reduction. SJ MOSFET allows for a much smaller size than planar MOSFET, since they generate less heat. The Hybrid and Electric car markets should not be ignored. True, they are less than $5M today, but they will represent more than $100M by 2018.
The technology used for Super Junction MOSFET is of two types. The first one, developed by Infineon, uses a series of epitaxies and doping to create a locally doped island in the epi-layer.
The doped region then diffuses and creates an N-doped pillar. The second technology uses deep. This report clarifies the situation of SJ MOSFET in EV/HEV markets, and shows how SJ MOSFET will be used in DC/DC conver ters and chargers and how it provides accurate market metrics.
Industrial applications are less interested in SJ MOSFET use, since these applications do not require a high frequency of switching when operating in an H-bridge. SJ MOSFET is interesting only for specific topologies such as multi-level, or for cheap, low-power solutions (small UPS, residential PV) - but even in these applications, planar MOSFET or IGBTs remain better solutions since they are cheaper and meet all requirements.
In summary, SJ MOSFET is currently employed mostly for high-end solutions.
KEY FEATURES OF THE REPORT
This report provides an exhaustive analysis of High-Voltage (+400V) Super Junction MOSFET markets, technologies and players. It features:
- Market metrics split by players, applications and technologies
- Market forecast out to 2018 (in $, units and wafers)
- Analysis of existing players and market share, plus new players
- An exhaustive supply-chain analysis
- Details on packaging solutions
- A presentation of available and competing technologies
- Focus on Electric & Hybrid Vehicles
WHAT'S NEW COMPARED TO LAST EDITION
- Update of all market metrics (by player, by application, by technology)
- Update of players' landscape and supply-chain
- Focus on EV/HEV segment: onboard and chargers
- Presentation of packaging solutions
OBJECTIVES OF THE REPORT
- Analyze new strategies and technology roadmaps
- Provide an exhaustive supply-chain analysis of the SJ MOSFET market
- Provide up-to-date market metrics
- Profile the dif ferent segments of the SJ MOSFET market
- Position SJ MOSFET technology against current and future competition
Key Topics Covered:
2 Executive summary
3 Power electronics market
4 Super Junction MOSFET market
5 Applications for Super Junction MOSFETs
- Synthesis on Super Junction MOS applications
- Super Junction MOS in PV inverter
- Super Junction MOS in Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS)
- Super Junction MOS in LCD TV
- Super Junction MOS in lighting applications
- Super Junction MOS in desktop power supplies
- Super Junction MOS in servers
- Super Junction MOS in SMPS for consumer applications
- Super Junction MOS in EV/HEV & EV/HEV supply equipment
- Super Junction MOS in other power supplies
6 Super Junction MOSFET technologies
7 SJ MOSFET packaging
- PowerFLAT and ThinPAK
- Power Modules
8 Trends in the Super Junction MOSFET market
- Towards higher voltage
- The competing technologies against Super Junction MOSFET
9 Added value of Super Junction MOS
- Conventional power MOSFET
- The Super Junction principle
- Features and benefits
- Si, Super Junction MOS and SiC - characteristics comparison
- Super Junction MOSFET position in voltage and frequency
10 Player Profiles
- Recall on market share by player
- Players profile analysis
- Focus on new players
Reverse engineering on Super Junction MOS
- Structure Comparison - Multi-epi
- Structure Comparison - Pictures
- Structure Comparison - Dimensions
- Fuji Electric
- GaN Systems
- Grace Semiconductor
- Hua-Hong NEC
- IceMOS Technology
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/j2tjsk/super_junction
Enterprise Open Source Magazine Latest Stories . . .
Subscribe to the World's Most Powerful Newsletters
Subscribe to Our Rss Feeds & Get Your SYS-CON News Live!
SYS-CON Featured Whitepapers
Most Read This Week